Young Invincibles (YI) is hiring a Human Resources Manager to join our team. The position may be based anywhere in the United States with preference given to candidates residing in one of the cities in which YI has regional offices (Austin, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Sacramento, & Washington DC) . This permanent, full-time position will serve as an integral part of the Operations team and will play a key role in supporting the HR and organizational infrastructure needs of YI. This is a great opportunity for a growing leader to build the organizational culture of a diverse staff of over 40 full time staff in six states across the country, multiple dynamic departments, with a focus on strengthening young adult leadership, all while working on today's most pressing economic policy debates.
The ideal candidate must be able to work efficiently and with a positive attitude in a fast-paced environment that requires adaptability to shifting priorities, a sense of urgency, attention to detail, and a commitment to excellence. They must be comfortable in a start-up style atmosphere requiring organization, creativity and initiative while maintaining a sense of humor.
Position reports to: Senior Director of Finance & Operations
Recruiting and Onboarding
- Lead recruitment efforts including identifying and cultivating sources for obtaining quality and diverse talent.
- Ensure recruiting and hiring strategies are implemented and oversee the orientation process.
- Identify key stakeholders and new approaches to collaboration that allow for the implementation and roll out of new HR related policies, processes, and systems.
- Work with stakeholders to develop the organization’s talent strategy and organizational culture strategy.
- Work with department heads and hiring managers to develop staffing and retention strategies for the organization.
- Develop, facilitate and/or curate training for staff, including management training, personal skills development and organizational culture training as needed.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
- Advise and consult with teams to align on key org-wide DEI initiatives to ensure alignment and direction in accordance with our DEI plan.
- Implement DEI strategies aligned to our DEI commitment, talent strategy and organizational culture strategy.
- Partner in the development of resources and supports that further the organization’s DEI commitment.
- Participate and/or serve on internal and/or external committees or programs related to DEI.
Performance Evaluation and Talent Management
- Manage the staff performance evaluation process.
- Work with stakeholders to improve the process moving forward.
HR and Benefits Administration
Oversee the Sr. HR & Operations Coordinator in the ways listed below. The Sr. HR & Operations Coordinator will take lead on most HR and Benefits Admin functions.
- Provide HR guidance when appropriate and act as point person for staff regarding HR matters.
- Maintain all personnel files, policies and procedures and provide guidance and interpretation to staff.
- Support management decisions by preparing, updating, and recommending policies and procedures
- Ensure timely timesheet submission and process payroll for internal staff..
- Work closely with a third-party HR vendor to communicate employee benefits programs; host open enrollment meetings, resolve benefit issues for staff and provide ongoing support.
Compliance and Risk Management
- Develops and maintains knowledge of legal requirements related to HR and ensures YI’s compliance with relevant laws and regulations across all offices.
- Work closely with a third-party HR vendor to ensure compliance.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Plan and facilitate internal meetings and committees as needed. Examples may include assisting with the annual staff retreat, DEI committee, and employee engagement meetings.
- This position is broadly intended to support the operations team’s capacity. As such, additional duties may be assigned as needed.
- A minimum of 3 years of HR related work experience.
- Exceptional reliability, integrity, and ability to responsibly handle confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues by using sound judgment that is consistent with policies, procedures, regulations or federal and state laws.
- A demonstrated commitment to advancing equity and proficiency at spotting and addressing issues of race and identity
- Possess a hard focus for developing company culture and increasing employee engagement.
- Knowledge of federal and state employment laws and other government compliance regulations is required.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- A drive to implement new and innovative technology solutions to help solve issues and improve the employee experience at YI.
- Ability to listen, influence and execute through others while coordinating across a broad and diverse group of stakeholders.
- An obsessive dedication to improving the organization of data and resources so that they are ever more easy and intuitive to access.
- Highly proficient computer skills with demonstrated knowledge and practical application of Google Docs, Sheets, and other software programs.
Competitive salary based on relative experience. YI will provide salary information to applicants invited for the first round of interviews. Comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, & vision coverage, company funded HRA plan; 401K retirement, life insurance, generous vacation, etc.
Young Invincibles is an equal employment opportunity employer and strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. Young Invincibles does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, medical condition including genetic characteristics, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, (including transgender status), weight, height, linguistic characteristics (such as accent and limited English proficiency, where not substantially job-related), citizenship status, or any other basis prohibited by law.